Thursday, July 29, 2010

Thinking on Things That are Lovely

The other day Jay & I met at the park for lunch. We have so much fun together. I'm so thankful for him.

Before Jay & Imet I had been single for several years. Every person I liked was never interested in me. In college we had something called Roomie's Night Out.
During Roomie's Night Out, your roommate would ask someone to go out with you. Then everyone would go out together on a huge date night. We would do things like bowling & ice skating. It was even a stretch for them to find someone to go with me! I don't know why I was so hard to find a match for. I mean, I don't think I was that strange or weird! haha It's just that nothing ever worked out. (Which, of course, I'm glad about that now!)

So for several years I stayed single and longed to be married. After college I spent 2 years in Asia. There were days of such immense loneliness over there. I prayed fervently for God to bring "the one" into my life. And I kept trusting Him with all my heart to do it.

Then, when and where I was least expecting it, God ANSWERED and did above and beyond anything I had even asked or dreamed of. I had just finished my first year in Asia and was home for a short summer break before going back for my second year. I never dreamed in a million years that I would meet someone from my HOMETOWN that very summer!!! I mean, I'm from a small town in southern Kentucky. I didn't think anyone here would share my interests and my dreams. Boy, did God prove me wrong!!

So while I was home that summer, my mom came in one night from church with a name written on a little piece of paper. She handed it to me and said, "Do you know him?" It was Jay's name. I remembered him from high school but only vaguely, and we'd never met. I was immediately uninterested. I told my mom that he probably wouldn't be my type. (I had in my mind that my husband would be from somewhere OTHER than my little hometown.) But my mom wouldn't give in. "Just give him a chance!" I finally gave in and said, "I'll go out with him once. But if I don't like him, that's it!!" haha God must have been smiling because I had no idea that I was about to meet my husband.

So a lady at church had told my mom about Jay. This lady was friends with my mom and also friends with Jay's mom. So the three ladies worked it all out, getting Jay's name to me, getting my phone number to Jay and encouraging him to call me.

A couple days later the phone rang. It was Jay!!! He had gotten up the nerve to call me! He sweetly and quickly asked me if I would like to go out to eat with him. We were on the phone about a whole 2 minutes!! :)

So we went and had a wonderful time. We talked the whole time even though we're usually both pretty shy. When I got home that night I still wasn't totally 100% convinced, but by our second date, I knew that this was THE ONE. Everything clicked and sparked, and we just KNEW! All those years of prayers by Jay & me and our moms and families and friends were being answered right before our very eyes!!

This picture was taken on one of our first dates together that summer.

We went to the KY State Fair in Louisville with my sister & her family. We had only been out a few times, and we were falling fast! :) Jay was the ultimate gentleman. He treated me like a princess and was so very respectful and sweet. Not only that, but I discovered his love for art and his talent for painting, drawing, singing & playing piano. And to top it all off, he's a good horse rider, roper & trainer. And most importantly, the loves the Lord!

We only got to be together for 5 weeks before I had to return to Asia for a year.
Here we are at the Nashville Airport. I felt like my heart
was breaking in two!!

While I was gone we wrote emails and letters and talked on skype every day. Here's Jay writing me an email. We missed each other SO much!!

The city I lived in in Asia was very polluted, so I often couldn't see the sky. So Jay would take pictures of the beautiful KY sky and send to me. It helped me get through a lot of homesickness.

During that year that I was in Asia, he and my mom came to visit me in China. It was Jay's first ever plane ride!! They stayed for 9 days. Then I came home for 3 weeks during our winter break. We got engaged while I was home, after knowing one another for 6 months. Then it was back to Asia again for the spring semester. The days ticked by so slowly.

When I finally was home to stay, we got married 6 weeks later!! It was one of the happiest, most magical days of my life!

We honeymooned in Virginia & had a wonderful time.

Now we've been married almost 3 years, and I love him even more than I did on our wedding day. I still often think of the miracle that God did when He brought us together. I'm so grateful. I'm so very blessed.

It was so fun reminiscing today! I hope that y'all all have a wonderful day today & think on some lovely things today that give you joy.

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things. Phil. 4:8


Stacey said...

Precious, precious post! It made me think back to my own years of waiting and hoping for a husband, when God sent just the right shy, quiet, sweet man my way. There's no way I would have made it these past 12 years without him as my husband!

Thanks for sharing your sweet memories and photos. You two are so cute! :)

Birdie said...

Thanks, Stacey! Jay is also quiet & sweet. I love it!

Post a Comment