Monday, September 19, 2011

Hospital Tour + A Little Encouragement

Jay & I are in the process of taking all of our childbirth classes: infant care and safety, pre-registering, childbirth, breastfeeding, etc. In one of our classes last week we got to go on a tour of Labor & Delivery as well as see a postpartum room. To tell you the truth, I kind of had a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. For me, hospitals don't have good memories. First of all, I worked in a hospital for several years. Second of all, I've been a patient in the hospital on multiple occasions for miscarriages and surgeries related to miscarriages. So the smells and sights on our tour kind of turned my stomach.

HOWEVER, I keep reminding myself that this time it's going to be DIFFERENT! This time it is a happy time. I keep telling myself that nothing is going to go wrong and that we are indeed having a healthy baby and that it will be a time of rejoicing. I praise the Lord for that!

So, I've been mulling around some ideas in my mind about how to make it a little more cozy, comfortable and homey so that I can be more relaxed during labor. I've decided that I want to bring several pillows from home along with some soothing music. I even thought about something scented lavender (I love that smell and think it's very relaxing). I'm wondering if any of you have some suggestions of things that help you to feel relaxed.

I also just want to say that I absolutely love it when someone finds my blog and has a similar story to mine and I'm able to encourage her. This has happened several times, and I want to thank those of you who contact me and comment on my blog. It really means a lot. And I hope that I can encourage you in some way. I know that I often say this, but I'll say it again: Miracles do happen!! Look at me.... Four miscarriages and now I'm over 31 weeks pregnant! Look at my sister.... 10 years of infertility and now a mom of THREE through the miracle of adoption!

God Bless you all!! And here is my email again in case anyone would like to contact me: creek jc @ nctc. com

5 comments:

Dan & Hillary said...

So glad you are doing well and excitement is building!! To tell you the honest truth, when labor pains hit, I hated the touch of anyone let alone scents in the room. Use a lotion you already like and have it ready if you feel up to it but active labor isn't the time to experiment with new things;-)

Birdie said...

Thanks for the tip, Hillary! :)

Sarah said...

We brought movies (our L&D room at TV and DVD player), and I had an IPOD filled with my favorite worship music, and a labor play list. I really wanted candles but the hospital said no. Also bring a picture of home or the ocean or some visual that helps you relax.

Birdie said...

Thanks for the tips, Sarah!!

Stacey said...

The hospital where I had Lily is also the one where I had my first miscarriage, and it's right next to another building that has lots of sad memories... BUT the beautiful thing is that, like you said, this time is different! After your sweet girl arrives, the memory of that time will trump all of the bad ones put together.

I think your relaxation ideas are good ones. One thing I wish I'd done differently is that I wish I'd brought more "comfort" items from home and not spent so much time in that grungy hospital gown! :)

Post a Comment