Monday, December 5, 2011

Birth Story

I've been wanting to post this for several days now. I hope it makes sense as I have been typing it (quickly) over several days in between feedings, diaper changes & cuddles... :)

Before Baby Bird was born, I called on Friday and scheduled an induction for the following Tuesday morning. I wanted the induction for a couple of reasons. 1) I was so worried that something would go wrong with Baby Bird inside my uterus if I waited too long. 2) I was also worried about her getting to be too big since my mom went 3 weeks overdue with me and I weighed 9 lb. 10 1/2 oz. (My poor mom!!!)

So I had the induction scheduled, but as the weekend wore on, I started having MAJOR second thoughts and decided that I desperately wanted to go in to labor on my own. I searched the internet and also asked you for tips on how to naturally start labor. I ate tons of fresh pineapple, ate spicy Indian food and did lots of walking. I prayed and asked God to please let me go into labor on my own. As the next couple of days passed, I started thinking about the pitocin and the terrible contractions that come with it (so I've been told). And I started feeling like I'd made the wrong decision. I decided that I did NOT want to be induced!!

Saturday night I got up in the middle of the night and started having contractions every 7 minutes apart and thought that maybe this was it!! But they stopped after a couple of hours. So I continued ingesting large amounts of pineapple, praying and walking!!

Monday morning I had a Dr. appointment scheduled. It was just a regular check up. I woke up bright and early and realized that I was hurting more than usual. I felt really crampy in my lower abdomen and was having some contractions but nothing regular. I got out my What to Expect When You're Expecting book and read the symptoms of early labor. I told Jay that I had most of the symptoms and asked him, "Do you think I'm going in to labor soon? Maybe I'll go into labor on my own today!!"

We went to my Dr. appointment, and I continued to feel crampy and more sore than usual. I also continued to have some contractions, but I didn't think they were regular. They were the just the usual Braxton-Hicks, so I thought. But just in case, Jay decided to time a few while we were waiting for my doctor. They were 5 minutes apart!! I hadn't even noticed how close together they were b/c I was so busy getting ready to go to the doctor that I never stopped to time them!

When my doctor came into the room I told him about my symptoms and asked him, "Do you think I might be going in to labor soon? I really don't want to be induced." He assured me that we could easily cancel the induction. He said that I'd probably do better anyway if we just let me go into labor on my own. So he told me he'd check me and then I could decide....

Well, lo and behold, he got a huge smile on his face and started laughing. He said, "Birdie, you're a good 5 cm!! You're in active labor!!!" He couldn't believe it!! He was laughing and said, "You're doing phenomenal! Your pain tolerance must be so high! Most women are crying and screaming out by now!"

Well, I felt so proud of myself! haha I felt like, "Is this all there is to it? I can do this!!" I couldn't stop smiling at Jay. I was so excited!

He sent me to walk for a couple of hours and then come back to check in at L&D at 2 p.m. So Jay and I headed out to Hobby Lobby and to the mall. We were over the moon. I felt so pumped up and so excited!

We went to L&D at 2 p.m., and it just all felt so surreal. I felt like: Is this really happening? I'm really in labor? Is this for real? We're really going to have our baby today??!

I changed in to my pretty hospital gown that I brought and got all hooked up to the monitors. Jay was snapping pictures and I was nervous, but I still wondered if this was really all there was to it. I even started to wonder if I was really in labor because I was not hurting that bad, even by the time my nurse checked me and I was 6 cm.

Well, I have to laugh at myself now b/c at some point after 6 cm everything started to change. The contractions suddenly started becoming more intense. And I was so nervous that my legs were shaking and my teeth were chattering. It wasn't long until I realized that the pain was quickly becoming very strong.

At this point I decided I wanted an epidural. Jay and my mom & sister encouraged me to get it, and I'm so glad I did! I shook the whole way through the procedure b/c I was a nervous wreck! But once I got it I was SO glad I did!! I was finally able to relax a little and stop shaking so bad.
The contractions eased off about 15 minutes after getting the epidural, and again I thought to myself, "I can do this!!!"

The pain relief lasted for a little while, but at around 8 cm I suddenly started hurting worse than ever. It was as if I hadn't had an epidural at all! It was so intense and getting to the point of being unbearable. Every thought I'd had of how easy this would be quickly vanished!! Thankfully, the Dr. returned and increased my epidural medicine. Once again, after it kicked in, I was able to relax a little more and felt once again that I could do it.

When I got to 10 cm the nurse set me up in a different position. I don't know what happened, but after I was sitting up for several minutes, the pain of the contractions returned full force and I felt like I hadn't even had an epidural. I was in EXTREME pain!!! It was absolutely excruciating, and the next thing I knew my nurse was rushing in to the room telling me that I had to push NOW b/c Baby's heart rate had dropped.

It was the hardest thing I have ever done. There were times when I thought I wouldn't make it through. I felt like I couldn't do it. I honestly didn't know how I could go on. Jay was wonderful and fanned me constantly b/c I was so hot. My Dr. was also so sweet and encouraging. After 50 minutes we welcomed the most beautiful baby girl in to the world, and I can tell you that I could hardly believe my eyes. She was really here!!!! After waiting so long!!! After going through so much to be her mommy, she was actually here. Jay & I were both just smiling so much. I kept saying, "Look at her, Jay! Look at her!!"

Every day is a gift from God. I am SO thankful for her. Every day I thank God for her. It still doesn't seem real a lot of times. It's like I want to pinch myself to make sure I'm not dreaming. I'm trying to enjoy every second b/c she is already growing so much. Time seems to pass so quickly. And I just want it to slow down.

Being her mommy is absolutely amazing. And I continue to pray for each and every one of you that you will get to experience this miracle - either through birth or adoption. I know that for some of you it may be hard to read my birth story because you are longing for your baby. But I hope it brings you hope that miracles still can happen!!


Seriously said...

Congrats Birdie! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy.

One day. ;)

belle said...

how wonderfully beautiful! God is sooooooooooo good!

Elizabeth said...

She is absolutely beautiful!! Thanks for sharing your story!! So incredibly happy for you!!

Lynette said...

Birdie thank you for the comment on my blog, about my little China cutie. It is hard waiting to go get her, the paper work continues, but I love her with all of my heart ans soul. It is nice to come on over to your blog and see the updates and the photos of your little Bird being born. Purely beautiful!! You went through a lot, but she is here and she is an amazing, sweet little miracle. sigh. love. adore. bless.

lindsey_marsh77 said...

She is such a gift from God! I bet she is already growing and changing so quickly. So excited for you and Jay.

Sarah said...

Thanks for sharing your birth story! Tears of joy up here in Southwest VA! Our God is so great, I am so happy for you, Jay and your little bird.

Post a Comment